Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Wilford Woodruff's 1846 reflections

Wilford Woodruff's 1846 reflections
... One year ago this night I was in Liverpool England but this night finds me in the midst of the Camp of Israel, at winter quarters in the Omaha Nation in the wilderness in the land of Joseph surrounded by the Lamanites who are poor wreched and miserable and have been so for many generations in consequence of the sins of there forefathers ...

And my prayer to God is that they may remain with us and our Posperity through all time and through all Eternity and that the same blessings may spedily go to the Lamanites and that 1847 may not pass Away untill the Lamanites with their Chiefs may begin to recieve the gospel which the gentiles have rejected and cast out of their midst and that the Lord will spedily deliver us entirely out of their hands and Avenge the spilt Blood of the Prophets  ....

I have myself been called to part with two of my sons which God hath given me. They lie in the dust untill the resurrecton. And I came nigh being killed by accident by the fall of a tree which broke my breast bone and three ribs. ...

And I pray my Heavenly Father to lengthen out my days to behold the House of God stand upon the tops of the Mountains and to see the Standard of Liberty reared up as an ensign to the nations ...

Read more »

No comments: